Costa Rica- Tarcoles


In our reconnaissance mission to find birding spots we checked out the Carara National Park, about 10km from our house.  We had learned they don’t open until 8, so we had a somewhat leisurely morning and were at the gates at 7:30.  While many parks are great for spotting things, we have learned to like the spaces a bit more remote and perhaps with fewer people. And you are required to stay on the paths.... a challenge for both of us!

Many of the local ‘guides’, birding or flora/fauna, also arrive at the park early to queue up for visitors. While waiting we met one that said all the right things, seemed to know what he was talking about, has a degree in biology, specializing in ornithology, and he quoted us a fair price, so we hired him for a few hours to show us his favorite spots - not in the National Park.

We made a quick stop at his house for tall rubber boats for Tom and I. (I should have been worried at this point, right?)  With our gear on our backs, we went swamp walking in the mangroves.  I decided to keep my camera in my pack so my hands were free.  On one of our flights, I’m going to weigh my camera pack, but I’m guessing that it’s close to 25 pounds!

 
Tom surveying the edge of the mangrove swamp for birds crazy enough to live here!
I did get my camera out for a couple of photos while in the swamps, but with the calf deep mud sucking my boots off of my feet, and just trying to stay upright, the camera was best in the case.  After almost 3 hours of hiking in this stuff, we were exhausted, hot and very sweaty... not to mention a bit muddy!
 
A couple of local youngsters - bare feet, and a 1yr old nicely balanced on the bar.  This wasn't her first bike ride!


We stopped at the edge of the forest to chase after a bird, and lucky for me these Scarlett Macaws were feeding right above the car!

Franklin, our guide, felt bad that I wasn’t finding stuff of my interest to take photos.  Being a guide, he knew just the spot to find a red eyed frog!   Yea! I quickly forgot about 3 hours of hiking through the mud!
 
Daytime position.  All tucked in - forelegs, backless and eyes.
He walked almost right to the leaf, turned it over… and there it was!
 
With a tiny bit of prodding, he poked his eyes out, but wouldn't show me his orange and yellow striped belly!

Comments

Popular Posts